Sunday 6 October 2013

Writing Your Personal Statement


Sorry that I haven't blogged in a while, life has taken its toll and decided to hold me up for a while, but I'm back!

I am currently going through the process of writing my personal statement and applying for university. I struggled to begin my personal statement, and now that I am at the final stages of finishing it off and perfecting it, I thought that I would share with you guys how to start, process and complete your personal statements if you are going through the same process that I am and struggling too.

1. An opening sentence that describes you!
When beginning to write your personal statement, you need an opening sentence that describes you. I know that for some people, writing about themselves isn't the first thing that they would choose to do, but in an interview it is likely that you will be asked to describe yourself, and it is what you need when starting off your personal statement. 

2. Your passion for what you want to study and why!
Secondly, you need to express your love and enthusiasm for the subject/s that you are wanting to study, and why you love them so. The people reading your personal statements need to see why they should accept you into their university, and if it is worth tutoring and lecturing you, and if they can fulfill your passion.

3. What have you achieved? 
This is your time to shine. What have you achieved? What have you done in your life so far that your proud of? Make sure that you explain it in detail because it's all about you.

4. Your employment!
Are you employed? Have you been employed? How many jobs have you had? Explain what you have done and what skills and qualities this has brought you.

5. Time for some summarisation. Why should the university pick you?
This is when you explain why the university should pick you, and what you can bring to the university. Why do you wish to study there? What are you looking forward to? A good summary will bring your personal statement together.

There is a small structure that you can follow to write your personal statement. I hope you find this useful!



No comments:

Post a Comment